It’s that time again! One of our most anticipated annual programming traditions lives on as the 20th Annual Animation Show of Shows returns to The Frida!
This year’s selection of fifteen thought-provoking, poignant, and very funny animated shorts from around the world were selected by animation guru Ron Diamond based on a common theme: the many faces of human relationships. In a year when the best and worst of human nature has been on constant display, the works in this year’s show remind us of both the universality of shared ideals, as well as the diverse challenges we face.
This year’s show has a running time of 98 minutes, and four of its fifteen extraordinary films have qualified for Academy Award consideration. The complete lineup, in order of appearance, is:
- The Green Bird – Maximilien Bougeois, Quentin Dubois, Marine Goalard, Irina Nguyen, Pierre Perveyrie, France
- One Small Step – Andrew Chesworth, Bobby Pontillas, U.S.
- Grands Canons – Alain Biet, France
- Barry – Anchi Shen, U.S.
- Super Girl – Nancy Kangas, Josh Kun, U.S.
- Love Me, Fear Me – Veronica Solomon, Germany
- Business Meeting – Guy Charnaux, Brazil
- Flower Found! – Jorn Leeuwerink, The Netherlands
- Bullets – Nancy Kangas, Josh Kun, U.S.
- A Table Game – Nicolás Petelski, Argentina
- Carlotta’s Face – Valentin Riedl, Frédéric Schuld, Germany
- Age of Sail – John Kahrs, U.S.
- Polaris – Hikari Toriumi, U.S.
- My Moon – Eusong Lee, U.S.
- Weekends – Trevor Jimenez, U.S.
Friday, December 14 – 2:30pm, 5pm, 7pm
Saturday, December 15 – 11:30am, 2pm, 4pm
Sunday, December 16 – 11:30am, 2pm, 4pm, 6pm
Monday, December 17 – 2pm, 4pm, 6pm
Tuesday, December 18 – 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm
Wednesday, December 19 – 2pm, 4pm, 6pm
Thursday, December 20 – 2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm
“If you are like me and wish to escape the madness unfolding in our current daily news, then I prescribe a healthy dose of animation and urge you to leave your bunker and get yourself into a cinema this weekend to check out the Animation Show of Shows. Now in its 20th year, the Animation Show of Shows continues its ongoing mission to seek out and share a carefully chosen crop of new animation from around the globe.” – Movie Magazine International
“Do not miss this show. It’s the best collection of animated shorts around today. And it’s one of the best SoS ever, and that’s saying something. Prepare to be amazed and moved.” – Steve Segal, Animation Instructor at California College of the Arts