The Animation Show of Shows is a curated selection of the “best of the best” animated short films created by students and professionals around the world. Featuring 10 films from seven countries, the 2019 edition of the program offers an array of highly imaginative, thought-provoking, and moving works that reflect the filmmakers’ unique perspectives and their relationship to the world.
“Animation is an incredibly versatile medium that allows artists to explore situations and ideas that you won’t see anywhere else,” says Animation SOS founder and curator Ron Diamond. “From political and philosophical concerns, to the complexities of individual identity and personal relationships, animated short films are uniquely able to capture the many facets of human experience.”
With a run time of 83 1/2 minutes, this year’s show is kid friendly, life-affirming, funny, inspirational, purposeful and memorable.
The complete lineup is:
- Kids – Michael Frei, Mario von Rickenbach, Switzerland
- Rubicon – Gil Alkabetz, Germany
- Portrait of Gil Alkabetz (Rubicon) – Marta Trela, Germany
- Five Minutes to Sea † – Natalia Mirzoyan, Russia
- Récit de soi (Self-Narrative) – Géraldine Charpentier, Belgium
- Le jour extraordinaire † (Flowing through Wonder) – Joanna Lurie, France
- Hounds – Amit Cohen, Ido Shapira, Israel
- Portrait of Amit Cohen and Ido Shapira (Hounds) – Shlomi Yosef
- The Fox and the Bird (Le renard et l’oisille) – Sam & Fred Guillaume, Switzerland
- Daughter † – Daria Kashcheeva, Czech Republic